Thursday 5 September 2013

A Period Tent

Well, I've finally done it! After much pondering (and changing my mind several times) I've ordered a "period" tent. Not authentic for my time period but my 14th-century merchant persona wouldn't have camped anyway. This is creative anachronism!

I was tempted to get something pretty like a Regent's pavilion with an eye-catching scalloped trim and a big fly. It would look so impressive with all the right accessories! It would have cost a bit but I could pay for it with the profits from garb sales.

Reality check: 1. How many years before I'm "too old" for tenting? 2. Can I set up a big tent all by myself? 3. How much space do I have for hauling and storing a tent (and all the pretty accessories)? 4. How will I dry it if it comes back wet from an event?

I settled for a small tent, a "mini" wall tent. Big enough for two cots, a table and some gear. Tall enough for me to stand upright in the centre. Small enough so I can drag it around and set it up by myself. Versatile enough so I can paint it, add a fly, attach various embellishments, combine it with other tents, etc. Cheap enough so I won't feel bad about disposing of it when I've had enough of camping.

Of course, now that the tent has been ordered I will hear from my friends that it's a flawed design, that I paid too much, that I should have chosen the medieval color option, etc.  Too late! Already I've wasted a couple of years mulling over the pros and cons of various tent designs and suppliers. The decision is made and now I can go on to planning the contents of the tent: carpet, blankets, cushions, lanterns, tote boxes.... I may have to go thrift store shopping again!



No comments:

Post a Comment