Saturday 12 April 2014

Browsing Through the "Maastricht Hours"

I had planned to do lots of sewing this week.

Then a friend asked me about images of coifs, and in my search I came across a link to an early I fourteenth-century book of hours (British Library Stowe MS 17). One quick peek….. and now I can't leave it alone. There are so many delightful images, such lovely clothing details, so many questions begging for more research.

I'm especially interested in the outerwear portrayed in this manuscript. I can see myself trying to copy some of these styles. But first I have to work my way through that backlog of sewing….

It's a vicious circle -- but it's my problem and I love it!

F98r  Good image of braies, and nice detail of fur cloak lining (note the tails)

F64v  Love the way this lady hikes up her skirt and shows off her boots

F98v  I've made a surcote similar to this one: arms stay warm when you pull them inside

F97r  He may not know much about riding but he wears a fine circular lined cape

F100v  A rough game -- the fellow in red is bleeding and tore his tunic in several places

F106r   I want to make a surcote like the one this lady is wearing

F109r  Some more surcotes, this time worn by monkeys -- or demons?

104v  One of many images of musicians and dancers

F59r  Such a cute couple, and a nice back view of the short semi-detached sleeves

1 comment: