Monday 28 April 2014

Time Away

It's good to get away occasionally.

I recall a conversation I had with my children about 20 years ago. They were very involved with the SCA; I wasn't -- yet. They were talking about making a Viking tent. It sounded like an expensive, time-consuming, trial-and-error venture.
Me: What's the point of making a tent like that? It may be good for going to some SCA events but what about when you want to do some real camping, like in Jasper? Get a practical modern tent!
Them: Lots of people in the SCA have period tents. They never go camping in Jasper.
Me: Oh come on, are you telling me these friends of yours never go for a family holiday to the mountains or the beach?
Them (with eyes rolling): Moh-thur! SCA camping is their idea of a family holiday!
Me (shrugging shoulders): I don't get it….

Now I've been playing The Game for almost fifteen years, and I get it! It feels like the only time we get away it's to another SCA event. Always fun (and often a lot of work) but after so many years I need to remind myself that it is possible to have a different kind of vacation.

And so we went to visit friends in University Place (south of Seattle) for Easter. It's about a 14-hour drive (not counting stops) under ideal conditions, but usually the border crossing and the traffic congestion on the I-5 add at least another hour. Two days driving out there, three full days of visiting, and two days driving back -- it was hectic, but oh so worthwhile!

Around Hope we began to see real signs of spring -- lush green grass, budding branches, small wildflowers -- and as we drove farther we marvelled at the abundant greenery and the colourful flowers. Time spent with friends was delightful. Clamming was a new experience for me, very enjoyable in spite of the rain. Along the road we saw elk, mountain sheep, black-tailed deer and even a cougar and a bear. We came back spiritually refreshed (and physically tired due to the long hours of driving and a nasty cold bug) with enough happy memories to keep us going until spring arrives here too!

During this vacation my only link to SCA activities was my bag full of sewing stuff. Dirk did all the driving so I had time to work on some projects: eyelets and buttonholes on an underdress for me, and hats for selling and giving away.

We went from this….

To this!

We enjoyed the flowers

And we went walking in the rain

I taught the kids to play MineCraft

We caught razor clams

And then we has to clean them…. all…. 

We went to church on Easter morning (yes, those are identical triplets)

And we lounged in the front yard, in the sunshine

Happy hats, traveling through the mountains. Now they need lining and fur.

No comments:

Post a Comment