Saturday 15 March 2014

Estrella War

First an explanation for my non-SCA friends.
When I "go to a war" it's not for the fighting. I joined this medieval re-creation group because I enjoy the people, the costumes, the feasts, the travel, the merchanting, the research, the pomp and ceremony, etc. However, a war brings people together. While some people get into armor and beat up on "the enemy" (with whom they'll happily party when the fighting is done) others use the time for sight-seeing, shopping, socializing, taking classes and showing off their "stuff".

An added attraction of the Estrella War is that it takes place in February/March in Phoenix, Arizona. After months of winter the Arizona sunshine sure looks good to the folks from Avacal (Alberta and Saskatchewan). This was my sixth time to the Estrella War: three times driving and three times flying. The first two times the event was held at the Estrella Mountain Park. I've been to the site near Florence three times (good site when dry, disastrously muddy when wet) and now I've been to the Schnepf Farms site just south of Apache Junction.

It was wonderful to get away for a few days. We flew down so we had to rent a car and book a motel (can't bring much camping gear on an airplane). That made the trip more expensive but also quicker and more like a real vacation.

After a few hours at the medieval site it was very pleasant to return to modern amenities

I was disappointed with the event itself. It seemed the attendance was down considerably from what I remember of ten years ago. The site was not well suited to the event. Reminders of the modern world were everywhere. The main road through the camp -- from the gate to the parking lot -- ran right past Merchants' Row so there was a constant stream of traffic.  To walk from Merchants' Row to the area where classes were held we had to walk past the "large RV" camping area. The war field was a long way off and not convenient for spectators. The "Medieval Village" did not look very medieval. On Friday there were many school tours on site.

This was the main road through the camp, just across from Merchants' Row
Oh look, there's a war happening over there, on the other side of the mud and compost!

One thing I did enjoy was the A&S classes. I took a total of five classes (actually six, because one was a double class): Fabric Identification, Fashion Forensics, Norse and Rus Women's Headwear, St. Birgitta's Cap and Braies and Chausses. While I was in classes Dirk checked out the food vendors and sat in the shade reading a book.

This was the St. Birgitta's Cap class

Here the instructor models her version of Norse and Rus Women's Headwear

Dirk gives the meat kebabs a passing grade. Note the anachronistic vehicle in the background


Another fine pastime was looking at the merchants' wares. There weren't as many merchants as I remember from previous years but enough to make me spend money. I bought fine linen and silk fabric (for veils) and also a few books at Pastiche. I found silk yarn at White Wolf and the Phoenix. At the Calontir Trim Merchant's booth I bought yards and yards of trim. And then, at Revival Enterprises, I discovered a pair of shoes (purple!) which fit comfortably on my bunioned feet!

Yes, this is the place to spend money


All in all it was a satisfying trip. Will I go to future Estrella Wars? Perhaps…. Or maybe I'll save up my travel money for a different event. The sights, the classes and the shopping are much better at the Pennsic War. Too bad it's so far away…. and in the heat of summer… and it conflicts with Quad War….

No comments:

Post a Comment